Article 13: "Shall the voters approve of funding for the Depot Street parking lot with a $20,000 appropriation in the Town budget in each of the next five years?"
For many years parking in downtown Richmond especially for clients and customers of businesses and professionals in the central business block has been challenging. The health of Richmond’s downtown businesses depends upon convenient and safe parking. The newly revived Richmond Economic Development Committee (REDC) considered downtown parking a top priority and has worked with the Town to propose Article 13.
The following information was provided by Geoffrey Urbanik, Richmond Town Manager.
1) The total cost for the parking lot is estimated to be $100,000.
2) In 2008 the town purchased this lot from a private owner for the purpose of providing a municipal parking lot to serve the village business district. The time has come to construct the lot due to the limited parking available to our businesses, their employees and customers. There is no particular regulation change, but it is anticipated that the minimum parking requirement for new businesses in this area will be eliminated. But there has been a shortage of parking in the village for a long, long time.
3) The current lot is just a gravel and mud space where cars can be parked. The final lot will be squared, paved, striped and organized. About 15-20 cars park in the gravel lot now, and we hope to get at least 30 spaces from the improved lot, maybe more.
4) Construction will begin in early FY2014 and will hopefully be finished in October of this year.
5) The benefits are more available parking to better serve our business district and some residents in the area. This will allow the on-street parking on Bridge Street in particular to be available to customers and visitors.
6) On a per-year basis, household costs are:
Assessed Value $100,000 = $ 4.30 per year or $0.36 per month
Assessed Value $150,000 = $ 6.45 per year or $0.54 per month
Assessed Value $200,000 = $ 8.60 per year or $0.72 per month
Assessed Value $300,000 = $12.90 per year or $1.08 per month
Assessed Value $400,000 = $17.20 per year or $1.43 per month
These additional taxes equate to $.0043 (43% of one cent) on the tax rate.
PS – Contact Richmond’s Town Manager, Geoffrey Urbanik by email or phone 434-5170 with questions.
March WSBA Member’s Perk At Richmond Victorian Inn
If you’ve never been to tea at the Richmond Victorian Inn, we invite you to join us on Sunday, March 24th, 2 – 5 PM, for a WSBA Afternoon Tea Special at the Richmond Victorian Inn. It’s an amazing experience where you will enjoy a Full British-style Afternoon Tea created by chef, Frank Stewart. On 3/24, WSBA members will receive $3.00 off per person. Full 3-course afternoon tea includes tea sandwiches or savory, freshly baked scones with cream and homemade jam, and a delicious dessert, regularly priced at $19.95 per person, including tax. Gratuities not included. Reservations suggested, as space is limited. Gather a few friends and make an afternoon of it – pamper yourselves, locally!
Joyce & Frank Stewart, Innkeepers The Richmond Victorian Inn
PO Box 652 / 191 E. Main Street
Richmond, VT 05477
802-434-4410 or Toll Free 1-888-242-3362
Google is now including social media sites in Google searches. So what does this mean for small businesses? It means that creating a simple Facebook page that includes your business name, your location, your phone number and your web site, if you have one, can really help people find your business online.Think of creating a simple Facebook page as adding your listing to your local Yellow Pages but, FREE. Here’s a link to Facebook’s page for creating pages: https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php.When you create your Facebook page, make sure you do the extra step of naming your page the name of your business. Facebook will create a numerical name by default so you will need to claim your name at this page: https://www.facebook.com/username. This will really help in Google search results for your page.
Try to name your page exactly the name of your business. If that name is not available then use the name of your business plus what you do. For instance, "The Delicious Cup" might be taken for your page but "The Delicious Cup Coffee Shop" might still be available. Good luck and visit our web site for more tips!
WSBA Monthly Member to Member PerksEach month this year, The Western Slopes Business Association will offer members a monthly perk. We’ve created a new page on our website to keep you posted about these offers!